Notes from Monday’s meeting

This week’s meeting was held at St Thomas’.

The main items for discussion this week were:

  • Transition Together Initiative
  • Sponsorship of Transition Farnham
  • The TTF leaflet
  • Fund raising

This was followed by announcements concerning:

  • Friday 16th October, 7.30pm. An opportunity to meet members of the national Permaculture Association and hear about their nationwide LAND project.
  • Sunday 25th October, St Andrew’s Farnham, a display of Robert’s Cameroon global links project.
  • A national gathering of Slow Food supporters at Neal’s Yard, Covent Garden, on Saturday 31st October
  • Finn Jackson has been invited to meet the manager of Surrey County Council’s climate change team.
  • Farnham Town Council’s survey on the future of planning and development in Farnham.
  • Meeting to discuss a possible Community Play, Tuesday 20th October.
  • FLFI open afternoon at Runfold on Saturday 17th October, 2.00-5.00pm.
  • A Taiko Drumming course at the West End centre
  • A course in making willow lanterns and street theatre
  • David needs more compost bins to accommodate the waste from The Barn.
  • Building work starts at St Thomas’ on 26th October. We will not then be able to use the Lantern but would be welcome to use the Lady Chapel. We need to decide the future of our meetings.

Many thanks to Paul Whewell for chairing this meeting. Next week’s meeting will be held at The Barn and will be chaired by Alex Scrivens.

Transition Together Initiative

Nicci circulated her proposal to apply to TT Totnes for funding to run a Transition Together Group in Farnham.

http://totnes.transitionnetwork.org/transitiontogether/rollout

The aim is to form small social groups of friends, neighbours and colleagues and help them to take effective action to saving money and reducing carbon emissions. The initiative has already been successfully piloted by two groups in Totnes and the workbook would need adapting to fit our local needs, then copied and circulated to the groups.

If Transition Farnham was selected to be one of the ten funded groups then we would receive £1,000 to cover our costs on the project. Nicci proposed that she receive £30 per session she delivers, totalling approximately £630. Even if we are not selected to receive the funding, the workbook material would be made available to us and we could try and fund our own initiative.

The meeting strongly supported the proposal and later agreed that Nicci should be free to use the whole £1,000 to fund her work on the project.

Action: Nicci to complete and submit our application to join the Transition Together partnership.

Funding for Finn’s Work on TTF

A local organisation has offered to sponsor Finn Jackson to work one day per week on Transition Farnham activities. Whilst this is of course welcome, Finn was concerned that others should not feel resentment if they are also working but not being paid. He had raised this at last week’s meeting and pointed out that if the group chose to accept the money then it would need to apply for the funding. In which case we should think about what activities we would want Finn to carry out on this day/week.

Various members gave feedback and suggested that things Finn could work on were:

  1. Lead the group
    1. Co-ordinate activities
    2. Steering Projects
    3. Act as a sounding board for local initiatives
    4. Provide conflict resolution
  2. Create the weekly TT information round up
  3. Search for project funding
  4. Maintain the website
  5. Helping to raise funds

The meeting thought that this would take more than a day a week to achieve!, and also observed that Finn already:

  1. Provides a single point of contact for TTF
  2. Acts as an advocate for TTF, representing our views to Waverley, Farnham Town Council, U3A and other local businesses and organisations.

Questions were asked:

  1. If Finn is paid for one day a week, would he then not be available to do Transition work on other days?
  2. Would there have to be a details account of the money spent?

Finn said he would not be working only one day a week on Transition. It was thought that the funding was to cover his time and would not need detailed accounts. This will become clearer once the application is made.

The group will need to make the application to sponsor Finn’s time.

The group fully supported that we apply for this funding and asked him to draft an application that we could review at the next meeting.

The TTF Leaflet

Joyce circulated a few copies of the updated leaflet. This was mainly for members to choose the preferred paper colour for the printing.

The leaflet will be open for revision again next January.

Nicci said she had a large stock of various paper colours and would see if she can match the selected colour.

Since only 200-300 mono-chrome copies are needed, it was hoped that we could use members or their contacts to avoid the commercial cost of 5p per side.

Fund raising

Alex explained how, through his faerie project, he hoped to rekindle the spirit of wonder at the natural world and it’s interdependence. He spoke about the ‘Dance of the Dragon Flies’ and the need to find funding for projects of this nature.

He had explained earlier how our organisational structure could be used to attract funding. Godalming TT is proposing to set up a Community Interest Company (CIC) that would pay a full time co-ordinator and administrator £27K/year. He said that CICs are very good at attracting funding for community projects.

He suggested that we organise money raising social events, using our mailing list to rally our supporters. Active members could adopt fringe members and try to discover why they are not more involved.

Suggestions:

  1. A special fund raising meeting, and possibly run as an ‘Open Space Meeting’.
  2. A Barn Dance, possibly including a Hog Roast. Ian said he knew of  a local Ceilidh Band and would find out more details.

Announcements

  • Friday 16th October, 7.30pm in the Library Garden Room. An opportunity to meet members of the national Permaculture Association and hear about their nationwide LAND project. We may even be able to start our own local permaculture group. Robert is away so he has delegated the organisation of the event to Paul. David and Chris also volunteered to help.
  • Sunday 25th October, St Andrew’s Farnham, Robert is manning a display of his Cameroon global links project. A volunteer is needed to represent TTF at this event.
  • There is a national gathering of Slow Food supporters at Neal’s Yard, Covent Garden, on Saturday 31st October.
  • Together with Transition Towns Haslemere and Godalming, Finn Jackson has been invited to represent Transition Farnham in a meeting with the manager of Surrey County Council’s climate change team. They might want support from citizen organistaions such as Transition Farnham.
  • Farnham Town Council has opened a survey on the future of planning and development in Farnham. Please add you comments at:
    https://transitionfarnham.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/farnhams-planning-future/#more-4586
  • If you are interested in helping to put on a Community Play in Farnham (whether on the stage or behind the scenes) please come to a meeting on Tuesday 20th October, 7.00 for 7.30 start at the United Reform Church in South Street.
    https://transitionfarnham.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/a-community-play-for-farnham/
  • Joyce asked members to support the FLFI open afternoon at Runfold on Saturday 17th October, 2.00-5.00pm, that she has been publicising throughout the Badshot Lea community.
  • Nicci is trying to organise a day’s course in Taiko Drumming at the West End centre
  • Alex could arrange a course in making willow lanterns and street theatre, lead by Jo Carter who is helping him with the “Dance of the Dragon Flies”
  • David needs more compost bins to accommodate the waste from The Barn. Ian offered a “Green Cone” and there were various suggestions for sourcing ‘pallet wood’.
  • Building work starts at St Thomas’ on 26th October. We will not then be able to use the Lantern but would be welcome to use the Lady Chapel. We need to decide the future of our meetings.

The next meeting, 19th October is in The Barn, Alex to Chair.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s