We’ve been contacted through the website by Marc Richmond from the East Midlands.
He was trained by the RHS in Wisley, and has pruned more trees than I could shake a stick at: acres of cider orchards in Herefordshire for a start!
He now works as a pruning contractor and also offers pruning workshops.
If any of us would be interested he can run a day’s class for £165.
More details below. If anyone is interested, please add a Comment below or contact me [Finn] and I’ll connect you all together.
- Trained in (Cert) Fruit Cultivation by the Fruit Department of the Royal Horticultural Society at their main Garden in Wisley, Surrey – 1 year sole apprentice.
I have undertaken many pruning contracts for small and large scale cider and dessert apple growers. In addition I have led successful pruning workshops to a wide variety of groups and organisations each with different needs and experience.
- Greggs Pitt, award winning cider maker, Much Marcle, http://www.greggs-pit.co.uk/
- 3 Museum orchards of rare heritage varieties belonging to the Marcher Apple Network
- Tickmore Apple Juice, nr Tenbury Wells, pruning of 7 acre desert apple orchard.
- Many contract growers for Bulmers, Dunkertons and Westons cider.
- Dragon Orchard, a Community Supported Agriculture cider and desert apple farm – trainng to 30 cropsharers,as well as annual contract work. http://www.dragonorchard.co.uk/Pages/csa.html
- Marcher Apple Network, training to 30 members at their museum plot, Tredomen orchard, Powys http://www.marcherapple.net/ as well as contract pruning at a further 3 museum orchards.
- Coed Cmru and Centre for Alternative Land Use, fruit and veg smallholding
- Lincolnshire County Council – Cross O’Cliff Orchard – restoration of old orchard and formative pruning of young trees on 4 acre site
- Lincolnshire Museum of Rural Life – restoartion of old orchard
- Bromsberrow estate, nr Ledbury. – restoration of old cherry orchard. 6 acre cider and perry orchard.
- Salters Hill charity, Herefordshire http://www.saltershill.org.uk/ – a charity that provides home and support for young rural people with learning difficulties. Training to staff – restoration of old orchards
- Worcestershire Wildlife Trust Melrose Farm and Nature reserve – training of staff and volunteers in orchard restoration at their nature reserve ancient orchard with SSSI status. Also, Hilltop Farm nature reserve – formative pruning and training of young trees. http://www.worcswildlifetrust.co.uk/
- Sherwoof Forest Trust – Training for staff and orchard owners in all aspects of fruit tree pruning – January 2010
- Colwall Orchard Project – orchard restoration. http://www.greener.colwall.info/Orchards/orchards.html
- Primrose farm Earth Awareness Trust, training for staff and volunteers – stone fruit pruning and cultivation.
- Presteigne Community Orchard, Powys – training of volunteers in orchard managment
- Kingsland Community Orchard – training of volunteers in orchard managment.
- Madeley Community Orchard Telford – training for volunteers and staff – formative pruning of young apple trees
- Franklin Community Orchard Leicester- training for staff and vounteers in formative pruning of newly planted apple trees
- Iona Steiner School Nottingham – training for staff, parents and public in restoration of old apple and pear trees as well as soft fruit cultivation.
Hope this is useful. It sounds like you are doing great things there. If you are interested I would be happy to hold a one day workshops covering all aspects of fruit tree cultivation for £165.
In terms of references you could try Helen Woodman at Worcs WT, or Marcher Apple Network – Mike Porter, or Jo Leech at Franklin community orchard.
Many thanks, best wishes
[Mobile number available on request from Finn.]