If you’ve ever felt frustrated that politicians aren’t listening to you, you might be interested in ‘direct democracy’ — grassroots democracy that works from the bottom up.
This short documentary shows how direct democracy has been put into action in Zucotti Park, New York.
- religious services
- general assembly meetings
- library (the books were burnt by police after this film was made)
- cleaning, personal hygiene, recycling and sanitation
- facilitated workshops
- lectures and teach-ins
- medics and security, first aid
- media (newspaper and social media) and press team
- a finance committee
All self-organised, mutually-supportive, with no one person ‘in charge’.